“Africa knows its problems, has strategies and frameworks, and now requires commitments and engagement to solve the problems”, concludes the the Sub-Saharan Africa e-consultation, coordinated and organized by FARA.
- Have a look at the power point that summarizes the exercise.
- Click here to enlarge the above ‘Focus of the discussion’ slide.
500 members from 65 countries, with 320 contributions from 42 countries followed the overall objective of the e-consultation: Gather broader perspectives on how research can increase its development impact in Africa based on regional review and gather new ideas or knowledge from the field.
Here are some of the solutions that participants suggest to overcome the regional AR4D challenges:
- Focus on farmer empowerment
- Involvement of key partners including youth and women
- Use of indigenous knowledge + modern technology
- Research and development linked with health and nutrition
- Changing the mindsets/approach in solving the problems: (1) Individual/institutional interests vs collective actions; (2) Production vs productivity; (3) International vs. local; (4) Raising problems vs. suggesting solutions